Monday, December 27, 2010

hunting, camo cake


First of all Happy birthday to the love of my life! I racked my brain trying to figure out what type of cake to make for him, themes like, hunting, fishing, football, basketball, asu, "the Office" all came to mind but i couldnt quite figure out how to pull them off so I asked Sean if he had any ideas, he wanted me to do camo, he suggested army print but since that really doesnt describe him or his hobbies I decided to take it one step further, and this is what i came up with. I alrternated the cake layers with devils food and yellow cake and the filing is a cream cheese frosting.

6 comments:

  1. this is awesome and i was looking to do something like this for my hubby on his 30th but i'm not the best and baking or decorating for that matter. how in the world did u do the decorating on the cake. this would be perfect if i could figure out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im so sorry i didnt realize I had a comment on this one otherwise i would have gotten back to you sooner. for this one i just used food coloring to paint on the camo decor and used a medium brown when i added my initial food coloring to my fondant. hope this helps

      Delete
  2. Hi! Amazing cake! I'm going to try and recreate something similar, but I've never used fondant. So you said you added medium brown colour to fondant? And then you used food colouring by itself to paint the camo pattern on top of the fondant? (That seems like a daunting task in itself - any suggestions!?)
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, It's really not as tedious as it sounds, its mostly just painting lines in different directions and then blending some colors together, if you dont want to do this you could try mixing brown and green on a piece of foil and then maybe try sponge blotting it on?

      Delete
  3. So awesome! Now did you do the horns? Are they just rolled fondant?

    ReplyDelete